Toilet Paper Origami
Toilet Paper Origami is the origami-style folding of toilet paper. There are two ways to do this:
– fold the toilet paper while it is still on the roll, or
– fold a single sheet of toilet paper.
Fold Toilet Paper while still on the Roll
This is seen in some upscale hotels where the cleaning staff will fold the first sheet of toilet paper into a triangle. The triangulated toilet paper informs the guests that the cleaning staff has been there, and has finished cleaning the room. The act of folding the first sheet of toilet paper into a triangle has spread to many hotels and to many countries. Some suggest that this behavior is a form of meme.
Some hotels and resorts have taken TP origami one step further by making more elaborate folds:
- Left: classic triangulated toilet paper origami
- Middle: pleated toilet paper inspired by HotelChatter
- Right: pleated-tuck toilet paper inspired by P O’Brian
Folding toilet paper into a triangle is so prevalent that an elderly Japanese gentleman invented an automated toilet paper folding machine called “Meruboa”. With the push of a lever, Meruboa will fold the first sheet of toilet paper into a perfect triangle. Manufacturers plan to make over 10,000 Meruboa holders per month, valuing over one billion yen per year. Original references no longer available but images of Meruboa can be seen here, estimated at $75 each.
|Triangle Fold||Gem||Diamond Fold|
|Basket||Pleated Tuck||Pleated Fold|
|Simple Boat||Heart||Origami Butterfly|
|Origami Leaf||3D Origami Tree||Origami Bird|
Stephen Gill spent 3 years photographing the folded toilet papers in hotels from various countries. He published a 52-page book called Anonymous Origami which shows the folded toilet papers. Linda Wright published a book showing how to fold elaborate origami designs with toilet paper. These TP creations are above and beyond the expected (see below for book review).
Folding One Sheet of Toilet Paper
Folding origami from one sheet of toilet paper is an example of how origami can entertain and amuse people of all different mindsets. If you are going to sit for a long time, why not fold an origami flapping bird with toilet paper?
- fold a toilet paper flapping bird from toilegami.com
- fold a toilet paper rose from one sheet by Doxem
- fold a TP origami rose from many sheets by Loreya
- fold a toilet paper sunglasses from toilegami.com
Toilet Paper Wedding Dresses
When designing this web page, we stumbled upon wedding dresses completely made of toilet paper. Interestingly, they are all very beautiful: some have origami-like roses, pleats, and woven patterns not unlike the origami creations made with paper. TP origami wedding gowns use glue and/or tape only. [Photos from www.cheap-chic-weddings.com]
More TP Stuff
Amazing origami stegosaurus, praying mantis, and Pegasus made from toilet paper. These are advertisements for All Bran cereal. See them here.
Don’t throw away those cardboard toilet paper tubes! You can convert these into cut-out/collage art such as flowers and snowfakes.
Small in size but big on details, these toilet-paper tube art look great in silhouette. Each piece tells a story much more interesting than the original humble cardboard tube. See more here.
Toilet paper folder and dispenser prototype made with Lego pieces (by dayammerkid). This dispenser is quirky & fun and shows the innovative nature of the creator.
Toilet paper dispenser Deluxe model by tp4unme. This dispenser is more serious: designed for people who have had a stroke or are incapacitated in other ways. Comes with hands-free, infra sensor so as to avoid contamination.
Cartoon courtesy of Tim Whyatt.
Toilet Paper Origami Books
- Toilet Paper Origami on a Roll by Linda Wright (book reviews here)
- Toilet Paper Crafts for Holidays and Special Occasions: 60 Papercraft, Sewing, Origami and Kanzashi Projects (book review here)
- Toilet Paper Origami: Delight your Guests with Fancy Folds & Simple Surface Embellishments or Easy Origami for Hotels, Bed & Breakfasts, Cruise Ships & Creative Housekeepers