Origami Tips for Success
Here are some tips to ensure a successful origami folding session.
- Before you start, make sure you know how to read origami diagrams. Origami instructions are symbols that describe how a piece of paper should be folded. Click here to familiarize yourself with origami symbols & bases tips.
- Get a lot of paper, preferably sheets 6” x 6” or larger. Almost any kind of paper will work: office computer paper, newspaper, magazine pages, or origami paper.
- Start with easy models with 10 or less steps. Allow the child to fold the model over and over again if he wants to. Repeating the same model helps them learn the process and allows their fingers to strengthen. Click here for easy origami diagrams.
- In the beginning, choose recognizable origami models such as animals, flowers, airplanes or boats. Later, older children will appreciate origami boxes, geometric shapes, and decorative pieces.
- If possible, provide a peaceful environment for the child to work in. Relax and enjoy the process.