Bubble Gum Wrapper Paper Chain
Bubble Gum Wrapper Paper Chain Instructions
- Cut paper of varying color to the size 2″ x 5″. Fold in half lengthwise.
- Fold the top and bottom edges to the midline.
- Fold in half lengthwise. Paper is now ½ an inch wide.
- Fold in half crosswise.
- Fold the right and left edges to the midline.
- Fold in half crosswise. Photo is enlarged and shows side view. Unit is about 1 and ¼ inches long.
- Fold many of these units.
- Connect the units into a chain by inserting the second unit (white) into the first unit (green). Push the second unit in firmly. The two units should fit snugly as in 8a.
- Continue by inserting a third unit (red). Arrange the units so the chain will be a zig-zag as in 9a.
- Insert more to get a longer chain.
This bubble gum wrapper paper chain is great for decorating greeting cards, picture frames, and they can be wrapped around to make bracelets.
This method of folding and connecting rectangular sheets of paper is called bubble gum wrapper paper chain because bubble gum wrappers were used originally. This was a popular hobby in the 1960’s and Gary Duschl has made a paper chain that is over 58,000 feet in length!
There is a simplified version of this craft: you use a quarter as much paper and requires half as many folds. See here for simplified bubble gum wrapper paper chain instructions.
You can also make the chains (bracelet) out of dollar bills
- see other Christmas garland ideas
- see Christmas themed origami
- see origami instructions
- go to Site Map
- Like us on Facebook
With a bit of thought and creativity, you can use these instructions to make all sorts of crafty stuff including crowns, picture frames, coasters, and more.