Pop Up Card Lips
Why buy a card when you can make easy pop up card lips yourself? It is kid-friendly, very doable and safe. You will need a pair of scissors, a piece of white paper, and a piece of colored paper for backing. You may also use stickers, crayons, markers, and color pencils for decorating.
Pop Up Card Lips Instructions
- Fold a piece of white paper in half; this will be your ‘card’. Cut one notch (about one to two inches in length) along the folded edge of the paper. If you cut a small notch, it will be a small mouth. If you cut a long notch, it will be a wide mouth.
- Fold the paper where it is cut. Fold the area about the cut upwards into a triangular flap. Fold the paper below the cut downwards into another triangular flap. Be sure to press firmly and make nice clean folds.
- Unfold the flaps so that it lies flat again. You may need to wiggle it back and forth a little.
- Open the card halfway. Use your fingers to push the flaps of paper into the card so that the flaps lie between the two layers of the paper. The upper triangular flap will be pushed up and in. The lower triangle will be pushed in and down.
- This will be how the outside of the card will look like. When you open the card, easy pop-up lips will pop up at you.
- To complete the pop-up card lips, glue it onto a colored piece of paper for backing. You can decorate this pop-up so that it looks like a face. Draw a dialogue bubble and let your lips speak. You can change the shape of the lips by experimenting with:
– how long to make the notches in step 1 and
– the shape of triangle flaps in step 2.