- a drinking straw
- a sliver of paper about 1/4″ x 11″
(take a sheet of 8.5″ x 11″ and slice a 1/4″ strip from the edge)
- a strip of paper about 2″ x 11″
(take a sheet of 8.5″ x 11″ and cut it into 4 strips)
- tape, stapler
- optional: ribbon and glitter
How to make a magic wand
- Gather your supplies.
- Tape the sliver of paper onto the straw at an angle. Turn the straw while holding the sliver of paper taunt.
- This will cause the paper to wrap around the straw making a barbershop poll design. Cut off excess paper, tape the tail end of the paper onto the straw so it won’t unravel.
- Take the strip of paper and pleat it accordion style (up and down, up and down). Make at least 16 folds. The best way to do this is to fold the strip of paper in half 4 times (fold in half, fold in half again, fold in half one more time, and then fold in half for the last time). The paper gets pretty thick in the last fold so you may wish to find an alternative way of folding but the final result should be an accordion pleat with about 16 creases or more.
- Staple one end of the pleated paper. Cut the loose end at an angle. This will make the magic wand pointy like a star. Or, you can cut the pleated paper in a semicircle pattern.
- Discard the cut tips and bits. Fan-open the pleated paper. When you open it completely, the top and bottom pleats come together to form a rosette. Fan open the pleated-paper a few times to loosen the pleats.
- Place the straw in between where the rosette joins together. Tape the straw onto one side of the rosette.
- Pry open the pleats and tape the straw onto the other end of the rosette. Tape everything together securely: the rosette should be attached onto the barber pole straw.
- You are effectively done. If you wish, you can tie/tape on a ribbon or use glitter to give the magic wand a bit of sparkle.