This dollar bill butterfly is created by Ed Halley, hints and text-instructions can be found in his web site. Valley folds in blue; Mountain folds in red.
- Valley fold a US dollar bill in half from left to right, unfold.
- Bring the top right edge to meet with the midline. Repeat with bottom left edge.
- Turn over,
- Fold the top right corner down to make a small triangle. Repeat with the bottom left corner.
- Valley fold the top overhang and tuck it under so that it is hidden between the layers. Repeat with the bottom overhang.
- Mountain fold the model in half folding from right to left. Rotate 90 degrees clockwise.
- Mountain fold the model in half, unfold.
- Make valley folds to the left and to the right of the centerline. This forms the thorax (body).
- The model becomes three dimensional with the thorax pointing up towards you.
- Mountain fold the right wing down. Follow along the existing ridge. Repeat on the left wing using the right wing as a guide.
- Valley fold and then mountain fold the wings to form the upper and lower wings. Repeat on left side.